On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:06:59AM +0530, Ganesan Rajagopal wrote:

> >> Then please suggest how to handle the issues that I raised with the new
> >> policy.

> > I don't see any issues raised in your messages. Having extra .so files
> > is the drawback we have accepted when deciding upon this new policy.

> Okay, if that's the decision, then I guess I can live with that.

> > As for the ctypes example, it can be trivially handled with dependencies.

> That much is obvious. The point is wouldn't it be confusing to the user to
> call the package python-ctypes when it doesn't support the current python
> version? Oh well, I guess I can put in something in the description to
> explain this.

A package named python-ctypes must support the current python version: it
must ensure this by having a versioned dependency on the versions of python
that it is compatible with.

That means that if python-ctypes only supports python (<< 2.5), and python
is at Version: 2.5.0-1, python-ctypes will not be installable (and will need
to be updated).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   http://www.debian.org/