On Tue, 03 Feb 2009, Guy Hulbert wrote:

> You should do it under /usr/share/APP/ the /etc/APP/ directory is for
> your .ini files (see FHS).

> I have:
>       /usr/share/APP/perl/
>       /usr/share/APP/sbin/
> Scripts in sbin will have
>       unshift @INC,'/usr/share/APP/perl'
> or
>       use lib 'usr/share/APP/perl'

> It is a PITA for development but ...
hm... sorry, but I don't see the actual point...

configuration (.ini) needs to be under /etc, and that is what I am
aiming at...

What I want is to have just 1 tiny section  in
/etc/python/debian_config
something like

[PATH]
add-local = true

or just

path-add-local = true

in the [DEFAULT]

instead of a monstrous hackish /etc/python2.X/site.py which was later on
actually removed the honor to be a config file and replaced in
2.5.2-1 with somewhat more concise sitecustomize.py, but I am not
even sure if it is appropriate place to add a 1-liner to customize
sys.path. And imho it is not a config file per se -- it is once again
just a snippet of code, although nice and concise.

Also such decision (to include or not-include local dirs) is not
python-version specific, so imho /etc/python/debian_config sounds like a
perfect location to specify such behavior

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark