On 14 February 2013 20:29, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:

> I look at the switch to dh_python2 as an example.

I don't think it's a particularly good example, though. Lots of packages
continue to use the older helpers, and not due to a lack of time - attempts
to move away from the deprecated helpers still seem to meet considerable
resistance. That causes problems when newcomers don't want to learn
deprecated packaging methods, and aren't allowed to update packages to use
the recommended helper.

Back on the VCS question, I fear that the 'all or nothing' road will circle
back to 'nothing' for a long time. I think that we should allow some
packages to live in git without forcing a complete migration, so individual
maintainers can use the VCS they're more comfortable with. Most open source
programmers have at least a basic familiarity with both, so it shouldn't be
such an obstacle to working on other packages.

We wouldn't be the only team doing this - Debian Games Team, for example,
use both git and svn for packaging:
http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS

Thomas