On Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:24:16 AM Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Scott Kitterman <deb...@kitterman.com>, 2013-02-22, 17:56:

> I gave it a try, and it appears to work, provided that upstream build
> system supports ABI tagging. Wow. :-)
>
> >dh_python3 does rewrite extension names with the tags. As an example,
> >python-qt4 uses this.
>
> If you install multiple non-tagged extensions to a private directory,
> they'll have overwritten each other before dh_python3 will have a chance
> to rename them.
>
> We'll have this problem also for build systems which install stuff to
> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/, but don't support PEP3149...

I think for most build systems you can override the install directory.  For
sip4, python-qt4, and friends I install in /buildx.y and then dh_python3
renames the files on move.  You're correct that you can end up overwriting the
files if you aren't careful.  The worst thing I've seen this:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
branches/ubuntu/raring/pykde4/raring/view/head:/debian/rules

Certainly not the easiest thing in the world, but it works.

BTW, there is no support at all for pure python3 code that's version specific.
I had to do horrible things in sip4/python-qt4 to make that work.

Scott K