On Oct 11, 2013, at 03:39 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

>Currently I tend to agree with Barry's advice. Successfully downloading a
>package from the internet during a long package build is hiding dependency
>problems, and setting the HTTP proxy so that it fails is going to make that
>problem easier to notice.

Note that the recommendation should be updated to *also* disable https_proxy
since modern setuptools is now (thankfully) preferring https.

The point of this recommendation is so that missing Build-Depends are exposed
when you are testing your package builds locally.  If you omit them, your
package will still properly FTBFS, but only on the buildds.  This is more
evident in Ubuntu where we only upload source packages, and the buildds
deliberately disable internet access.  You'd like to find these errors early
when you're doing local test builds (e.g. via sbuild in my case).

As Piotr points out, pybuild sets both proxies automatically, which I think is
great.  I have it on my List to update the LibraryStyleGuide on the wiki to
nudge people toward pybuild.  I may get to that after Ubuntu 13.10 is
released.

Cheers,
-Barry