❦ 27 août 2014 18:11 -0700, Nikolaus Rath <nikol...@rath.org> :

>> 2. Sometimes I make repeated mistakes when building a package; under
>> subversion I have to make a new commit for each one before testing.
>
> Why is that? I'm testing my uncommitted changes with
>
> svn-buildpackage --svn-ignore-new --svn-builder=pdebuild
>
> and it seems to work very well.

I am also missing the ability to rewrite history from git. Of course,
you can use --svn-ignore-new but usually, you do not check everything
before each commit. You have different things to check: does the package
build, does it pass lintian, does it contain everything expected, does
it work? Working offline and rewriting history allows one to do many
changes and fix them once errors are discovered.

There are also situations where you just cannot tests your change. For
example, if you are offline with missing dependencies. Or over an
expensive Internet mobile plan. You can still do a lot of work with git
and test that when home and fixing the individual commits.
--
panic ("No CPUs found.  System halted.\n");
        2.4.3 linux/arch/parisc/kernel/setup.c