On 10/10/2014 12:59 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Scott Kitterman <deb...@kitterman.com> writes:
>
>> Changing the number of commits is solving the wrong problem. The
>> problem that needs to be solved is including upstream commits. That's
>> thoroughly uninteresting for a packaging team.
>
> Agreed. This is a direct result of rebasing Debian packaging history
> onto upstream VCS history, and keeping them all in the same repo as one
> undifferentiated history, no?

The IRC bot and the commit-by-email function, while being nice, aren't
going to be the decision making features. What's going to be is what is
the most convenient for doing the packaging work.

> It's a good illustration of why I much prefer the workflow of a separate
> VCS for the ‘debian/’ directory, merged with upstream source only at
> build time. The results of the merge are in a separate location and are
> never checked into VCS, they're used only for the build.
>
> See ‘git-buildpackage(1)’ for the ‘--git-overlay’ option, which AFAIK
> does this.
>
> That way, the history of the Debian packaging VCS is entirely about
> what happened to Debian packaging; upstream VCS history is elsewhere.
> That seems to address the trouble entirely.

There are perfectly valid points for using what you describe above. But
also, there's some other reasons why it's preferable to have upstream
source within the VCS packaging branches.

During Debconf 14, we had this discussion. Only Paultag wanted this,
everyone else didn't. Let's say there's a few more other people which
were not accounted for and that were not at Debconf, those who prefers
having upstream source code in the VCS are still the majority.

Please, let's move on and not discuss it again...

Also, during the Debconf discussion, we decided we would use the
pristine-tar workflow, *not* using upstream VCS merge. A
"git-import-orig" normally goes into a single commit, which I don't
think would bother anyone (not on the list, or on IRC). While I don't
agree with this decision, I prefer to just import upstream VCS and do
packaging based on tags, but I will still respect it when packaging in
the DPMT. Anyone who doesn't respect what we are collectively agree on
should IMO take the blame for what happened on IRC and on the commit
list, and pointing fingers at whoever configured it is IMO wrong.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)