On May 25, 2016, at 08:57 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:

>Python 3.6.0 alpha 1 is now available in experimental.  The upstream release
>date is scheduled for December 2016, about two months before the stretch
>freeze.  The question is, if 3.6 should be targeted for stretch, as a
>default, or non-default version.  That would of course require some
>ahead-of-upstream work for some packages, and maybe freeze exceptions for
>some upstream packages releasing a first 3.6 support after the stretch
>freeze.

It might be too early to tell, since we don't know what all is going to be in
3.6, and thus don't really have a good sense yet of how big a porting job it's
going to be.

Once beta1 comes out (currently scheduled for September 2016), we'll at least
know the feature set and any changes which could have impacts on libraries and
applications.

I'd love to be able to adopt 3.6 as a supported (but not default) version.
Then we can switch to 3.6 and maybe/probably drop 3.5 for Buster.

Thanks for getting 3.6 in experimental.

Cheers,
-Barry

  • Python 3.6 Matthias Klose