On 2017-04-04 08:21, Brian May wrote:

> I would suggest that Buster have Python 2.7, however we only support 3rd
> party libraries where it is practical to do so. Any library that has
> dropped Python 2.7 support upstream, is not practical for us to support
> in Python2. Anything that depends on such a package (directly or
> indirectly) also is not practical for us to support.

 I just noticed that Ubuntu plan to drop Python 2.7 completely - from
default installs at least - for the 18.04 release:

"Plans for 18.04 LTS

Overarching goals include:

Python 3 only on the default installs for desktop, server, touch, snappy
images. (Some may already be there.)
Python 3.6 transition"

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Python

Trying to find out what the situation will be for the 17.04 release, not
finding much yet however.