Hi Ben,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 10:42:53PM -0400, Ben Westover wrote:
> > > _version.py is not a copy of versioneer, it's *generated* by versioneer.
> > > However, there is versioneer.py in the root directory, which is. I'll
> > > exclude that from the source and repack.
> >
> > hmm... how about that generated file though? shouldn't it be ... well,
> > generated at build time instead? :)
>
> As far as I understand it, this file is used by the author of the program,
> not end users. I don't understand it well, though, because I haven't put
> much time into researching what versioneer even does.
> If my hunch is correct, I may be able to just remove the file from the
> source altogether, but I haven't tried that yet.

As far as I understand, versioneer (or the _version.py generated by
it) uses a whole bunch of heuristics to determine the version number
of the package, for example by looking at git tags and so on.  Several
times, I have found that _version.py in the PyPI release of a package
is a very small file (just a few lines long) stating the version
number of the package, while the _version.py in GitHub is huge and
doesn't work on a standalone packaged version.  If I recall correctly,
In more than one package I (co-)maintain, I've gone for the PyPI
version of this file.

Hope this helps!

   Julian