Hi Julian,

Am 05.02.23 um 11:38 schrieb Julian Gilbey:
Why is the current intention not to ship the python3.10 package in
bookworm?

Because it would amount to about double the work for all those involved.

Besides, Python 3.11 has some points for it:
- Real performance gains for real workloads
- It will be supported one year longer (so EOL is expected to be around the time bookworm will be out of stable, too).
I was trying to run some experiments in a virtual environment a few
days ago, and it turns out that several of the Python packages I
needed do not yet run on Python 3.11.  I was saved by being able to
run in a Python 3.10 venv and download all the required packages from
PyPI.  If bookworm shipped without python3.10, I would not have been
able to do my work.  Removing python3.10 from bookworm will seriously
affect many of our users in a similar situation to me.
P.S. We should also fix #1036268 if we do keep python3.10 in bookworm;
I'm happy to do an NMU if needed.

Maybe you could sponsor a "backport" of Python3.11?

My 2 cents
Michael