Dear IOhannes,

thanks for your reply and your thoughts.

On 2023-09-17 11:11 IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian/GNU)
<umlae...@debian.org> wrote:
> i get your point that you want the information fast, but it seems you
> are just using some arbitrary constraint that fits your personal need.
> it appears that for "most" Debian maintainers a lag of "1 or 2 days"

I'm not a Debian maintainer.

I do use that tracker page as an upstream maintainer.
And I do use it as a usual user because the "usual" package pages (e.g.
https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/backintime) are IMHO less
comfortable to read.
I like the dashboard character of the tracker.

But I always try to take into account that there are a lot of different
"flavors of users", especially in the context of our world ruling
Debian. ;)

I'm not the benchmark here. My benchmark is always all users in the
world. Of course this is unrealistic. But it can be a goal. I mean, no
matter that it is impossible to reach that goal, trying to reach it
can improve Debian.

> I personally feat at unease when people call other people
> "unprofessional" like this.
> such accusations just feel... unprofessional :-)

English as not my native language but to my understanding when
scrolling back to my own messages I never addressed a person or group
of person with that word. I addressed the feeling of users.
I tried to be emphatic to "my" users and imagined that they would
experience it as unprofessional.

Please keep calm and step one step back.
We all do love Debian and FOSS and most of us invest their free time in
it. But please don't take everything personal.

We may have different goals in context of usability and quality. But
that is what the community is about. We need to talk about such things
and evolve. The none-free-firmware thing is a very good (positiv!)
example of that process no matter how the decision was at the end.

How Debian "discuss" things and comes to conclusions is one thing that
makes it so special compared to other distros and FOSS projects.

> the tracker's audience is really Debian maintainers, not users.

We have no proof for that and I would disagree here.

> i don't know what the average user expects

Me, too. I don't know. But I try to be empathic to them and also try to
keep Debian in a good light to them.

> in any case: why do *you* think it of utmost importance to be
> informed of a new release on this very page?

Because of my watch-file problem. First I thought the watch file is
buggy and I invested time to understand what the problem is with it. In
the end it was not buggy and I burned time.

Kind
Christian