On Saturday, June 29, 2024 1:36:41 PM EDT Soren Stoutner wrote:
> Scott,
>
> On Saturday, June 29, 2024 8:58:09 AM MST Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > I would say no.  Distutils is going to be with us for quite some time,
> > even
> > though it's no longer part of the standard distribution.
> >
> > Scott K
>
> Can you please elaborate on this some more?  As a maintainer of a couple of
> packages that use distutils in some fashion I would appreciate understanding
> the detail of what is happening with distutils in Debian.

I can't say for sure.  I am assuming we will keep it in Debian in the short
term independent of the Python interpreter packages, since removing it would
break so many other packages.

According to codesearch.d.n over 600 packages reference disutils in their
code.  That doesn't mean that they all use it, but it's a lot of packages.

I think it's smart to work with upstreams to migrate away from it ASAP, since
it isn't going to stick around forever, but I don't know the timeline.

Of course, if no one volunteers to do the work to seperate it out of python3-
stdlib-extensions, then it might come up pretty soon.  Is anyone planning on
working on this (I confess I thought someone already had).

Scott K