reassign 417531 elisp-manual
thanks

Kevin Ryde writes:

> Running up
>
>       emacs-snapshot -Q
>
> and opening the manual
>
>       C-h i g (emacs)
>
> then following the emacs lisp manual link
>
>       Tab Ret
>
> opens the emacs 21 manual from the elisp-manual package,
> ie. /usr/share/info/elisp.gz, if you've got that package installed.
> It'd be nice if it opened the emacs-snapshot version,
> ie. /usr/share/info/emacs-snapshot/elisp.gz.
>
> Maybe "/usr/share/info/emacs-MAJOR" in Info-default-directory-list
> could be ahead of the plain "/usr/share/info".

No, this would not be right.  If you install a newer version of a
package that comes with Emacs (e.g. Tramp), you want Emacs to pick its
documentation from /usr/share/info and *not* from
/usr/share/info/emacs-MAJOR.  See the docstring for
Info-directory-list:

,----
`----

> Or maybe elisp-manual
> should be putting its bits in the emacs-21 subdir, if that doesn't
> break standalone info readers that don't know about the subdirs.

I think that would be TRT, since the elisp-manual is specific to
Emacs 21.  And at least the `info' program has no problem finding
files in subdirectories.  Reassigning this bug to the elisp-manual
package,

Sven