After a recent upgrade to *jessie* I too am seeing this behavior. Basically
what happens is *Eterm* is launched, and the *Eterm* window is successfully
opened up, but the terminal window never displays a shell prompt. I've
tested this with behavior against *bash, dash and zsh*; *Eterm* behaves the
same way with all shells. Executing an *strace* against the *Eterm* process
reveals that no shells or shell rc files are being opened, so something is
happening prior to *Eterm* executing a shell for the user, but after
*Eterm* has
created the new terminal window, and immediately after *Eterm* opens up
*/etc/group* and then */etc/passwd*.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 8.1
  APT prefers stable-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)

Versions of packages eterm depends on:
ii  libast2            0.7-7
ii  libc6              2.19-18
ii  libfreetype6       2.5.2-3
ii  libice6            2:1.0.9-1+b1
ii  libimlib2          1.4.6-2+b3
ii  libsm6             2:1.2.2-1+b1
ii  libx11-6           2:1.6.2-3
ii  libxext6           2:1.3.3-1
ii  multiarch-support  2.19-18
ii  zlib1g             1:1.2.8.dfsg-2+b1

eterm recommends no packages.

eterm suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information