Andreas Tille <andr...@an3as.eu> wrote:

> patches myself and build local packages if I want to use recent
> high popcon software like Emacs 23 who are not even be able to say
> sorry for not beeing active to potential helpers.

What I was considering myself (years ago) was to create a package
"auctex-snapshot" from the CVS (back then, now?), do it my way, and
offer real team-maintenance.  One hope was that, while there are no
chances that XEmacs and AucTeX upstreams get together, Debian people
could, and there would even be a recent AucTeX vor XEmacs.  If that
turns out to be the AucTeX package of choice over the standard one (even
vor GNU Emacsen), well...

But I never came to it.

Regards, Frank

--