On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Bart Martens wrote:

> I started from RC bugs (grave, critical, serious) tagged "help".  We currently
> have 18 RC bugs tagged "help".  I matches these 18 bugs with all reverse
> dependencies, recursively, both build- and plain reverse dependencies.
> Recommends and Suggests are not followed.  The result is 19475 PTS pages.  If
> stop the recursion after the bug is advertised on more than 150 PTS pages and
> skip packages with more than 150 reverse dependencies, then the result is 660
> PTS pages, which feels more reasonable to me.  The number 150 is chosen with
> trial and error to reach some reasonable ratio 18/660.  This is just a first
> experiment, and I'm sure the number 150 needs changing when other RC bugs are
> tagged "help".

Thanks for investigating this. I think the approach you have chosen is
a good first step and I would like to add it to the PTS.

>   There are RC bugs in dependencies : #579647 #545414 #658739 #566351 #368297
> #601667 #658896 #628671

Several of these bugs are merged, I think we should only link to one
of the merged bugs.

> Comments ?

I wonder if doing this recursively is a good idea or not. If we decide
to do that, your approach to limit the recursion is a good one.

I guess you focused on bugs tagged 'help' so that less maintainers are
affected? Is the result very different if you change that to all RC
bugs? Perhaps we could use recursion for bugs tagged 'help' and no
recursion for RC bugs older than one month. A blacklist may be needed
to avoid things like eglibc appearing on all packages containing ELF
binaries though.

It is my feeling that bugs tagged 'help', especially in core packages,
are probably ones that are harder to fix and may not be good targets
for getting people who aren't intimately familiar with the packages to
fix them.

I think perhaps that limiting the amount of RC bugs filed against deps
to 5 or 10 per PTS page would be good.

--
bye,
pabs