Hi,
That reminds me I forgot to update this bug report.
I did not experience the problem for some time now, and I think it is related
with the filesystem I use for my /home: I moved from ZFS-Fuse to ext4. That
said, it may be related to ZFS-Fuse, but other users experienced a similar
problem on other FS (Juha on XFS). Anyway, Kmail/Kontact should better handle
its files (missing sync somewhere creating corrupted files in certain
circumstances?), and do not blindly delete all the stuff like that.
Cheers,
  Matteo