As you know, the installation procedure for Debian on the s390 and s390x
architectures involves using the Integrated System Console (or the virtual
3215 console in a virtual machine under z/VM) to get the network device
configured, then logging in as "installer" using a remote SSH client to
finish the rest of the installation.  I have learned from experience that
when my remote SSH client is PuTTY running under Windows, I can get the
box-drawing characters in the Debian installer to look right by selecting
"UTF-8" as the character set in the PuTTY configuration.  If I use Lat-1,
or some other character set, the box-drawing characters don't look right.

Recently, however, I tried a Debian install for s390x (wheezy) using the
Linux SSH client running under Linux on an Intel box instead of PuTTY
running under Windows.  (Debian package openssh-client, command ssh.)
I used a virtual terminal, vt2 in this case, rather than an xterm window
or something similar (i.e. gnome-terminal).  I can connect just fine,
but the box-drawing characters don't look right.  I can't find any way
to configure the Linux ssh client to make the box-drawing characters
display properly.

How do I get the Linux ssh client to work with the Debian installer to get
the box-drawing characters to look right?  Or must I use Windows to
install Debian?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :