Hi Toby,

On Mon, 5 May 2014, Toby St Clere Smithe wrote:
I know you have the final say here, but the same document[1], under
seciont 6.7.8.2 point 3 makes the converse point that the orig tarball
"should, except where impossible for legal reasons, preserve the entire
building and portablility infrastructure provided by the upstream
author. For example, it is not a sufficient reason for omitting a file
that it is used only when building on MS-DOS."

yes, this is true for stuff that is not already in the archive (like the MS-DOS build system). As you pointed out there is already an option to ignore the embedded copy of boost. So the "building infrastructure" is not harmed by removing boost.

The rationale given is that it "is common for Debian users who need to
build software for non-Debian platforms to fetch the source from a
Debian mirror rather than trying to locate a canonical upstream
distribution point", which I agree with!

But those users could also fetch the boost library from the Debian mirror.

Anyway, the suggestion from Anton is fine and I marked the package for accept.

  Thorsten