On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 20:30:37 -0800
Dima Kogan <d...@secretsauce.net> wrote:

> I packaged VLFeat (http://vlfeat.org), and am looking for sponsorship.
> This is a computer vision library that implements a number of useful
> algorithms.

> This is a BSD-licensed library. It contained a SIFT implementation (a
> patented feature detector), which I removed prior to repacking the
> source tarball.

Dear Debian Gurus,

I have implemented a GPU version of SIFT which is up to 100x faster
than VLFeat, released under MIT license and as VLFeat, I have a problem
with this patent (not exactly me: I live in Europe).

What is Debian's point on view on a patented algorithm in a free
implementation ? Does it mean such package can enter Debian in 6 year
of time when the US-patent is no more applicable ?

Cheers,
--
Jérôme Kieffer
tel +33 476 882 445