> changes via cvs to a nfs mount, all the client machines download changes
> via a cron job.

  Whoooa... nfs? Security++... I could consider using some secure
networked file system, though but I doubt cron would be a good idea.
Or maybe it is. Anyone any concerns?
  Another thing that crossed my mind: a local apt-repository. I could
put my config files in machine-specific .deb's and even wget all the
fixes there plus clean the old ones. Then just run apt-get to install
them... There is a slight concern, though: our network is a shared
coaxial net... (10Base-2)