I just finished an LDAP cofiguration successfully and found out, that
the configuration is tricky - I had to be very careful. I had the same
problem with double passwords - the order in the PAM config files was wrong.

Also I found out, that if PAM was not able to bind to the server
anonyously, though I configured it in the slapd.conf. So I created a
Manager with read only permission. For some reason my ldap.conf accepts
_only_ an IP in the host entry, everywhere else the domainname works.

my /etc/pam.d/login:

auth     required   /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth     required   /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth     sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
auth     required   /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so use_first_pass
account  sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account  required   /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so
password required   /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
password required   /lib/security/pam_unix_passwd.so use_first_pass md5
shadow
session  required   /lib/security/pam_unix_session.so

/etc/pam.d/pop || imap || su
auth       sufficient   pam_ldap.so
auth     required       pam_unix_auth.so
account  required       pam_unix_acct.so
password required       pam_unix_passwd.so
session  required       pam_unix_session.so

/etc/openldap/slapd.conf:

<--- snip --->
access to attr=userPassword
         by self write
         by dn="cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=com" write
         by dn="cn=pam,dc=domain,dc=com" read
         by anonymous auth
         by * none
access to *
         by self write
         by dn="cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=com" write
         by * read

/etc/linnss-ldap.conf:

binddn cn=pam,dc=domain,dc=com
bindpw xxxxxxxxx