On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 09:05 AM, Davy Gigan wrote:

>  I would also notify another
> evident thing : due to the fact i'm running two syslog-ng servers
> on my machine, the configure script killed all of them => normal.

No that is normal. The scripts should be using pid files. To
quote policy:

"The init.d scripts should ensure that they will behave sensibly
if invoked with start when the service is already running, or
with stop when it isn't, and that they don't kill
unfortunately-named user processes. The best way to achieve this
is usually to use start-stop-daemon."

Unfortunately ( ;-) it's only 'should', not 'must'.