Steve Meyer wrote:

> I have an old 486 without a cdrom in it.  If I pull the hard drive and
> stick it in another machine to perform the install will this work?
> And if it does work will it make the system any less secure?

Just make sure you choose a kernel compiled for youre architecture (i486
or less).
Also, watch out for youre /etc/fstab, if you install your hardrive has
secondary slave on the installation system and has primary master on the
destination system you migth get some difficulties trying to boot your
new system.

Good luck & enjoy !