In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:

> On Friday, Dec 6, 2002, at 03:18 US/Pacific, Sven Hoexter wrote:

>> I suggest popa3d from http://www.openwall.com but I'm not sure
>> if you can use it in standalone mode.

> I like the look of popa3d, but it does not support md5 or ssl
> transport. I know this is trivial protection, but every layer helps.

I'd suggest The University of Washington's POP3 server. Which does
support SSL.  However I don't believe the Debian packages for potato
included a daemon with SSL support.  Not sure about Woody, Sarge or
Sid though.  I just built it from source.  You can get the source here:

        http://www.washington.edu/imap/

NOTE: The source is described as "The Univerisity of Washing IMAP Server"
or "UW IMAP".  Rest assured--the source distribution includes a POP2,
POP3 and IMAP daemon.