On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:59:26PM +0000, gabe wrote:
> I would like to know what ppl think is the best package for monitor
> servers, at my last work place they were installing "mon".  In my new

We (ISP) use several mechanisms:

* a local watchdog shell script that is called by cron minutely and that
        - checks "ps cax" if every process is there else it restarts it
        - checks if the disk is getting full
        - checks if the load is abnormal high
        - does some host dependent stuff
        - sends a "i'm alive" message via syslog

* a central syslog host
        - with "logcheck" for a dozend servers and routers
        - that checks if the "i'm alive" message of every server is there.
          Else it's very probable that the server is under too high load
          or about to crash (or the admin forgot to activate the
          watchdog)

* a central netsaint (aka nagios) for a general overview and to send mails
  to an SMS gateway to contact the 24/7 techies.

Apart from that we have here and there some little things like nightly
apt-get dry-runs that inform us about security updates that would be
installable which we have not yet done (only in times like now where
stable is quite unchanging).

bye,

-christian-

--
Christian Hammers             WESTEND GmbH  |  Internet-Business-Provider
Technik                       CISCO Systems Partner - Authorized Reseller