The security team looks at the diffs for the patch to version 2 of the
software, identifies the parts that fix the bug in version 1 and manually
back port the bug fix to version 1. We end up with a Debian specific version
that doesn¹t introduce new dependencies or features. This works with great
success (through a huge amount of effort) the majority of the time. Some
packages are more difficult to do this with then others (i.e. Firefox ­ you
can search the archives of this list for specific details about why).