herzogbrigit...@t-online.de <herzogbrigit...@t-online.de> schrieb:
> Hello there,
> I'm a new user of the great Debian distro for my Desktop. But when I talked
> to a friend and I told him, that I'm using Debian (Wheezy) for my desktop
> computer, he told me that I shoudn't use it because it is not secure. He told
> me to use Ubuntu instead. He explained that with the fact, that Ubuntu has
> more security features enabled than Debian (also more compiler flags for
> security) in a fresh install.

Your friend has missed a very important aspect:
Ubuntu only provides security support for the "main" and "restricted"
archive sections: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/FAQ#Official_Support
But since the "universe" section is enabled by default, you'll end up
with a lot of unpatched security vulnerabilities on Ubuntu systems.

Cheers,
        Moritz