On 24 Mar 2015, at 17:46, Moritz Mühlenhoff <j...@inutil.org> wrote:

> Francis Devereux <fran...@devrx.org> schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> According to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html, Oracle
>> JDK 7 will reach "end of public updates" status in April. I believe that
>> OpenJDK 7 will reach EOL at the same time or soon afterwards.
>>
>> Will the openjdk-7 packages in wheezy continue to receive security updates
>> after this date, or should I plan to move to, for example, OpenJDK 8, if I
>> need a security-supported version of Java?
>
> We're using icedtea instead of the Oracle releases and icedtea has longer
> support time frame, e.g. Java 6 is EOLed by Oracle for a long time while
> new releases for icedtea are still made.

Thanks Moritz, that's good news. I can't find any details of icedtea's security
support lifecycle on their website so I might email their mailing list. What
I'm trying to do is get an understanding of how long the Debian openjdk-7
packages are likely to be supported for so that we have plenty of advance
warning before we need to upgrade - my company maintains lots of servers
running our Java applications and it'll take us a while to upgrade/migrate all
of them.

Thanks,

Francis