On 6/1/18 9:17 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:36:27PM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>> I don't think most users of testing realize that
>> they also need to include stable-backports in sources.list to get
>> security fixes.
>
> No, this wouldn't get them all security fixes.
>
> It would only make a difference when the package with the security
> fix is backported at all *and* the backport is done before the
> package migrated to testing.

Which is unfortunately against the rules of backports, as well. Packages
are supposed to enter testing before they are backported.

[...]
> testing (and even unstable) often get security fixes after stable,
> and we should be honest about the fact that the security-supported
> part of Debian is a subset of stable[1] without backports.

I still wonder if there's some way we can make this better for testing
users without resorting to a fatalistic attitude, though. ;-)

In theory we know which unstable uploads contain security fixes because
the security tracker says so. That'd allow us to flag them and
potentially give them a higher priority to migrate. But it still doesn't
help when manual work is required because they are stuck behind a
transition.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern