On 20 Apr 2005 22:42:32 +0200
Sebastian Niehaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I started from the OBP prompt: the changes I make in the OBP and with
> the eeprom utility seem to be equivalent.
>
> Nevertheless: they don't have any effect.
> Do I have to expect the OBP screen will appear in the new refresh
> rate.

Yes, that is what should happen.

If it doesn't, this means that either:

1) The creator can't support that refresh rate, unlikely
   due to what you claim.
2) The OBP mode switching code does not think your monitor
   can handle the mode you've requested.

Experiment with different modes and refresh rates.

You can test more efficiently by changing the output-device
setting, doing a reset-all, then from the OBP prompt "cd"
to the FFB device node, on my system its:

ok cd /SUNW,ffb

Then ask for properties with the ".properties" command.

ok .properties

There are a few interesting entries here.  For one, there is
"edid_data" which is the response the OBP driver got from your
monitor when it tried to auto-determine the monitor's capabilities.
A value of zero here means the OBP driver will need to make very
conservative decisions about what kinds of modes to accept.

Next there is "v_freq" which is the frequency in use.  On mine
it's "0x46" which is decimal "70" which is what I put into my
output-device env var.  "height" and "width" are the resolution
in pixels that OBP has decided to use.

Also make sure that "screen" is an alias to your Creator3D device
and not some other video card in your machine (if you do in fact
have a video card).

As you can see, things have to be absolutely perfect in your specification
for the resolution to get set correctly, it is very picky.