--On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 4:51 pm -0500 "Ben Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 10:08:11PM +0100, Eric Delaunay wrote:
>>
>> About kernel, I will release the next bootdisks with 2.0.35.  Is it
enough
>> reliable for *all* sparc workstations, or should I switch to 2.1 ?
>
> The 2.0.x kernels suffer performance wise on the sun4c's i have used them
> on. For example it took about an hour for them to run mke2fs on my 2 gig
> drive, while the 2.1 kernels went at it in about 15 minutes (or less).
>
> 2.0.35 works well on sun4m's tho.

Oh.  So *that's* the famous sun4c slowdown.

I noticed that too, when I installed my machine.  I just assumed that my
disks were slow :-)

I've never really noticed the slowdown when the machine's in use, but I use
it very lightly.

Jules

P.S. I keep trimming this thread to -sparc - it's not really relevant to
-devel.

|  Jelibean aka  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Jules aka     | [EMAIL PROTECTED]              |  Richmond, Surrey   |
|  Julian Bean   | [EMAIL PROTECTED]        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |
|  Debian GNU/Linux - "Microsoft *does* have a year 2000 problem -     |
|                      and we're it!" (paraphrased from IRC)           |