Thanks a lot everybody who replied to my original post!

I finally managed to get printer working with both 2.0.35 and 2.2.12 kernels.
For 2.0.35 I had to get the latest bpp.c from the (unreleased) sparc patch of
28.11.98 and to apply those __volatile__ changes. August's patch supplied with
Debian has BPP support broken (I suppose). The latest kernel-image-2.2.12 made
by Ben Collins already contained bpp.o module, so I didn't have to recompile
the kernel. ;-)

Now I can happily print ASCII files and stuff, but as soon as I try to print
PostScript (through gs filter, as I only have HP LJ 5L) I get into troubles
again :-( A clean picture is frequently interrupted by some garbage across the
page (random ASCII symbols). I've tried to convert PS to PCL with both 300DPI
and 600DPI resolutions --- no help. It happens more often with 600DPI than
with 300DPI and with 2.2.12 kernel than with 2.0.35 (!), but happens anyway.
Output of dvips is more prone to errors than a general PS picture (an output
of xfig), but dvilj4 surprisingly prints OK. Although, I probably didn't test
it well enough. The same PCL file is printed without problems on the same
printer from PC, so at least the printer is fine. I didn't have time yet to
try to print from Solaris, but I would be surprised to have problems there.

So I have to beg for help again! Is it some known issue? Do other people have
the same problem? I personally suspect there is some speed mismatch, but I
can't be sure. I'm sorry for so many details, but I hope they can shed some
light for experts (unfortunately, I'm not one of those :-( ).

Any help is again VERY appreciated!

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 09:15:48PM -0400, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> Yes. The fix for the BPP driver is simple. Find the struct bpp_regs and
> add __volatile__ to the declarations of all the variables in it.
As I wrote before this doesn't work with the "official" Debian 2.0.35 kernel.
And it's already included in 2.2.12. Thanks!

   --- Alexander.