On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Walter Keeler wrote:

> Here's a basic question:
>
> What happens when you unplug the serial cable and then power up the IPX?
> Does it spin up and make disk access noises?

Unplugged cable, powered on IPX. Disk spins up.

> If so, it sure sounds like a cabling issue of some sort.
>
> It would make the debugging job a whole lot easier to fire up the IPX with
> a head, if only to make sure it runs properly to begin with.

Adding a head would put me back about $150 unless I could find a less
expensive supplier for the keyboard and video converters, and then I
wouldn't need serial console.

Maybe that would be a better track?

Sun sells a ps2 keyboard and mouse converter for $75, and Blackbox has a
13W3/VGA converter for about $45. I would love a head on this thing if it
wouldn't be quite so expensive.

Oh, and I have no desk/counter/shelf space for a second keyboard and
mouse at this time.

However, I did finally chase up a pinout for the serial port, and I might
have ended up with either the wrong cable (might need a modem cable
instead of a printer cable) or I might need a straight instead of a null
modem cable. Unfortunately I wont be able to test any of those for the
next two or three days.

-- Ferret no baka