Thanks.  As it turned out I did have xbase-clients 4.0.1 installed.
My problem was I had the XkbRules option wrong - I had left it as
"xfree86", when its supposed to be "sun" for sparc hardware. Oops.
So for anyone else with similar problems the correct keyboard info was:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"