and I'd like to see if there is a known problem/workaround:

My machine is a Sparc 5, TurboSparc Proc, running stock potato.

When I try to compile certain packages, configure usually works, but make
usually dies somewhere in the process with an error:  make: invalid option -- a
and then it spits out a list of valid options for make.  I can chdir to the
offending directory and run make, and it will build without error, however from
the base directory this error occurs.  Is this error indicative of some other
problem, or is it representative of the source that I'm trying to install
having some sort of error?

thanks,
--
*****