On Tuesday 13 Jul 2004 23:44, Kelly Harding wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Everard Brown wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 Jul 2004 21:07, Kelly Harding wrote:
> > If you're in or around North or West London, I have a spare keyboard and
> > a vga adaptor that you can borrow. I also have spare (RAM/Disk-less) SS10
> > & SS20 boxes which may or may not have some parts you could use.
>
> Thanks for that offer. Appreciated. Unfortuately I live up in the
> Midlands.
>
> > I got 3 SS20s is running from network installations both Debian and
> > RedHat (Debian is better) - no problems once you get the tftp daemon
> > working correctly.
>
> Should it be fairly straightforward once the tftp daemon is set up and
> running and the SS20 has found it/booted from it?

Yes the tftp image boots the machine and then it looks just like a CD
installation - if you've done it on x86, you'll figure it out from there ;-)

One tip... If you are able to run a web server on you're x86 box, then copy
the sparc installation CD to your local web server and install from there -
it's much faster that an internet installation, 100Mbit compared to DSL or
modem.

Once complete you can then change your apt config to get the security updates
from the Debian security updates server(s).

> I'm kinda assuming that once I get Debian installed on it it'll be pretty
> much like Debian is on my x86 boxes. Is that the case? or are there any
> special 'gotchas' with Sparcs?

Not that I've noticed, except I didn't manage to upgrade to a 2.4 kernel yet -
but I blame my own inexperience and lethargy for that.

> > If you have any problems, I've probably had it before and solved it.
> >
> > Let me know if I can help.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> If I run into any problems I'll drop you an email.

Luck ;-)

Everard