On 11/10/2004 10:51 AM, Le grand pinguin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:44:59PM -0500, Tomislav Renic wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Le grand pinguin wrote:
>>
>>>Hello list,
>>>
>>>i just downloaded and burned the iso images of
>>>the debian installer CD for sparc (sarge-sparc-netinst.iso ).
>>>Unfortunately, the box fails to boot up - the last kernel message
>>>reads:
>>>
>>> setting console mode to unicode (UTF-8)
>>>

>>>and then a never-ending stream of "Segmentation fault"  follows ...
>>>Any ideas what i need to do to get by this problem?
>>>
>>> TIA Ralf Mattes
>>
>>Unless you are looking at testing and reporting problems with the new debian
>>installer, your best be will be to download a woody install image and
>>boot from that.
>

> Hmm, that's how i started, but unfortunately my woody installation
> (vers. info Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2 "Woody" - Official sparc Binary-1 CD)
> doesn't even get this far - it stops during the early boot with a message
> that claims that the root fs can't be mounted via NFS (???) and prompts
> me to insert a root floppy (which is kind of hard considering the fact that
> my box doesn't _have_ a floppy drive. I'd hate to have to install a floppy
> just to install Debian).
>

> Thanks
>
>    RalfD
>

>>After you install the base system, do a dist-upgrade and you should be
>>ready to go.  If you just want to get back to work, this is the way to
>>go about it.
>>
>>Good luck,
>>Tomislav Renic

Are you trying to do a netboot installation?  If you just boot from the
cdrom without any parameter, the kernel will not try to do NFS mount.  If
you are doing netboot, which "tftpboot.img" did you use?  I just finished my
netboot installation, the kernel does not do NFS mount.  I manually selected
it during the installation.