On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 09:35 +0200, Davide Ferrari wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've installed Debian SPARC64 port on a Sunfire T5220 (so, a Niagara2) with
> 32GB of RAM but unfortunately mysql is, as every userland program in Debain
> SPARC64, a 32bit application.
> This is a great limitation cause you cannot make mysql use more than 4GB of
> RAM and with really big InnoDB tablespace this is a real PITA cause you
> cannot
> get all the queries cached in RAM and performances drop, so we're just
> wasting
> RAM cause this should be a mysql box.
>
> Any idea on how to solve this?
Install 64 bit versions of the database and any necessary libraries.
Some may be packaged in Debian (there is a 64 bit libc package for
example), the rest you will have ot build from source.

>  Does recompiling work?
Should do.  If DB hasn't been built / run on a 64 bit platform before
you could run into issues but if it's reasonably standards compliant and
coded in a sensible way it shouldn't be a big deal.

>  Even gcc is a 32bit
> application so I'm not pretty sure.
You might want to look at -m64 and the SPARC options:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.3.2/gcc/SPARC-Options.html#SPARC-Options

Given the strong similarities between 32 and 64 bit SPARC architectures
and the tendancy for people to run mixed systems it makes sense to have
GCC able to generate both.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin