On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Steven Chamberlain <ste...@pyro.eu.org>wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:36:31 +0200, Joël BERTRAND wrote:
> >       sun4u : kernel is stable until 2.6.32. [...]
> >
> >       sun4v : I have several T1000 for a long time. I haven't seen any
> stable
> > kernel on these servers.
>
> Maybe someone could think about a k*bsd-sparc port ;)
>
> Generally speaking, I think if you're just going for NTP server, this is
fine.

However, I like pushing the hardware combinations to weird extremes. I like
putting hardware into non-x86 machines and seeing where the drivers succeed
and fail. My favorite example is getting Mesa3D to function. This is
basically a no-go on most of the *BSDs because they just don't have the
driver support. If someone can demonstrate a *BSD/sparc running X and
accelerated OpenGL using any non-Sun GPU made from 2000 forward, I might
consider using a *BSD kernel, but so far, it seems all the development for
FOSS GPU drivers is on Linux.