Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Christian Schoenebeck  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>I'm still waiting for the ability to use real transparency. What's the deal
>>with this anyway? I mean, what is the problem that there's still only pseudo
>>transparency?
>>

>Someone has to design how this fits in with the existing X11
>protocol, probably develop an extension, then write the code,
>and invent and document an API for this.
>
>Then all applications that want real transparency probably need to
>be rewritten to take advantage of this.
>
>That's not something you do in a day. In fact, it's probably
>not something you can do in a year.
>
>Mike.

I downloaded and burned a KNOPPIX CD this past week (it is way cool, btw
- higly recommended for demo-ing Linux and for emergency OS needs, like
for testing Windows-based PCs if you can't get hardware/network working
or you need to save files to the network on a hosed Windows system,
etc); I noticed that the KDE3 "K" menu had what I understand to be true
transparency; at least it was the same type of transparency I've seen on
Macintosh OS/X.

FYI.

Kent