Matthew Claridge wrote:
> Its funny you should say that because when printtool tries to autodetect
> a printer, it says I don't have parallel port modules loaded.....
>
> the output of lsmod looks like this:
>
> # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
> Mvnetd                  9808   1  (unused)
> Mvnet                  54998   0  [Mvnetd]
> Mvnetint                 320   0  (unused)
> Mvw                     4724   0  (unused)
> Mvmouse                  872   0  (unused)
> Mvkbd                    984   0  (unused)
> Mvgic                   3296   0  (unused)
> Mvdsp                   1064   0  (unused)
> Mserial                 6628   0  (unused)
> Mmpip                   7172   0  (unused)
> Mmerge                134264   0  [Mvnetd Mvnet Mvw Mvmouse Mvkbd Mvgic
> Mvdsp Mserial Mmpip]
> mki-adapter            19344   0  [Mvnetd Mvnet Mvnetint Mvw Mvmouse
> Mvkbd Mvgic Mvdsp Mserial Mmpip Mmerge]
> emu10k1                55680   1
> ac97_codec              9568   0  [emu10k1]
> sb_lib                 32256   0  (unused)
> uart401                 6016   0  [sb_lib]
> sound                  52876   0  [emu10k1 sb_lib uart401]
> soundcore               3236   7  [emu10k1 sb_lib sound]
> tulip                  37152   1
> keybdev                 1664   0  (unused)
> usbkbd                  2816   0  (unused)
> input                   3072   0  [keybdev usbkbd]
> usb-ohci               17472   0  (unused)
> usbcore                48032   1  [usbkbd usb-ohci]
>

> Now I know there's no parport modules listed, but when I run modconf,
> the parport and parport-pc ARE selected....I've even tried deselecting
> them, rebooting and then reselecting them and rebooting again, but lsmod
> still doesn't list anything.....
>
> maybe I broke something???

In my list of modules, I have the following loaded:

parport
parport_pc
lp

Since I don't see any of those in your 'lsmod" results, I would say your
printer port is not being initialized on boot-up.  As a test, try to
load each of these modules with "modprobe" and check if your printer
works after loading them.  If it "fixes" the problem, I would advise
adding them to /etc/modules with any old text editor.

I have had spotty luck using modconf here.  Sometimes it works fine,
other times it doesn't seem to insert the proper modules.  I run the
2.4.18 kernel here with a mix of "testing" and "unstable' packages, and
I think my problem is probably in the "mix" that I have.  Dunno about
your setup, but you might be seeing the same things.  I have found the
above steps seem to be the most reliable way to get the proper modules
loaded for me...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-