Claudio Bley wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 19:15, Eric Richardson wrote:
>
>>Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,

>>> Eric> I've been able to to use make-kpkg kernel-image to create a custom
>>> Eric> kernel .deb file from a kernel source package. All the modules are
>>> Eric> compiled and I tried make-kpkg modules-image but no deb file gets
>>> Eric> created. How do I create the modules deb file?
>>>
>>>     What moduls.deb file? Do you have stand alone modules packages
>>> installed? Which modules packages are these? The modules you
>>> designated that come with the kernel are part of the kernel imagfe
>>> deb itself.
>>>
>>Hi Manoj,
>>
>>I guess I'm totally confused. When I upgraded to 2.4.18, I had to
>>install the kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18 so I guess I'm thinking of this.
>>
>>So let me see if I got this correct. Installing the kernel-image I
>>created will install the modules compiled in /lib/modules/<version>.
>>This of course are not the modules I chose to compile into the kernel.
>>
>>Also, not sure why I get what seems to be an error when I do a make-kpkg
>>
>>modules_image. See end of message. What is that command suppose to do?
>>
>>How do I include the pcmcia modules or is this a seperate think I need
>>to make a deb for?
>>

> Install the pcmcia-source package. Then, go to /usr/src and 'tar xvzf
> pcmcia-cs.tar.gz'. Go into your kernel source directory and run
> 'make-kpkg -rev k6.1 modules_image'.
>
> Btw, this is not an error you've seen before, there's just nothing to do
> because you haven't unpacked any sources into the /usr/src/modules
> directory.

I see now that I really didn't need the pcmcia modules as the new kernel
uses yenta and normal net drivers which are included with the kernel
source. Since I installed 2.4.18 version of the pcmcia utilites I really
didn't need to compile the pcmcia package for the 2.4.7 timesys kernel.
I did need to configure CONFIG_FILTER to get dhclient to work and make
sure CONFIG_PCMCIA and CONFIG_CARDBUS where selected. Running
dhclient-2.2.x eth0 gave me the clue as it said to make sure that
CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are included in the kernel. dhclient
normally calls dhclient-2.2.x with a -q option which suppresses the
output. Now pcmcia networking works!!

Just learning so I appreciate all the help.

Eric