Am Son, 2002-09-22 um 22.36 schrieb Colin Watson:

> > i explictly grant permissions on demand and after some checks. i dont
> > give everyone access to a specific resource. so for security reasons the
> > exe-permissions should used really carefully. its like a opt-in into my
> > "security realm".
>
> As I said above, the execute bit provides no real security except in the
> case of set-id executables. No trust needs to be involved, since anybody
> who can read the file can arrange to execute it anyway.
>
> If you're concerned about setting the executable bit because you have
> programs that randomly go around actually executing untrusted code, of
> course, then they're buggy and should be fixed ...

of course. but i believe that here the same as for i.e. databases
applies: i grant permissions explictly and by default every file is just
readable. not execute permissions.

setting the execute permissions by default can makes it maybe easier to
find a backdoor. so this i just a security concern and this i not a
fact. i think, setting exe-perms should be done after some simple
checks.

cu