Bijan Soleymani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Is this normal?  I don't seem to remember having ide performance issues like
> > this before (this is a new install).
> >
> This is normal if dma is not enabled.
> It isn't enabled by default in Debian.
> To enable it install hdparm and then
> run hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx as root
> where x is either a,b,c,d depending on the
> ide device.
>
> Hopefully that will work and your problem
> will be solved. If you're really lucky
> like me you can do something like
> hdparm -c3d1m16X66 /dev/hda to enable
> other options such as ATA-66. Just
> do man hdparm and check out the options.

This sounds like a problem I'm having.  I tried everything I could
figure out to enable DMA on my IDE drive, but it still won't take the
enable command...

[joq@sulphur] ~/ $ sudo hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

<I'm running woody.  I built a kernel to turn on IDE DMA...>

[joq@sulphur] ~/ $ grep IDEDMA /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/.config
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_NEW_DRIVE_LISTINGS is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set

<Here's what hdparm reports on my hardware...>

[joq@sulphur] ~/ $ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

 Model=IC35L040AVVA07-0, FwRev=VA2OA52A, SerialNo=VNC202A2L1SU7A
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=52
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1863kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=80418240
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
 AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
 Drive Supports : ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1 : ATA-2 ATA-3 ATA-4 ATA-5

[joq@sulphur] ~/ $ sudo hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 5005/255/63, sectors = 80418240, start = 0
 busstate     =  1 (on)

<My mobo is an ASUS A7V333...>

[joq@sulphur] ~/ $ sudo lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266]
        Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 807f
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
        Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266 AGP] (prog-if 00 [Normal
decode])
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
        Memory behind bridge: dc800000-dddfffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: ddf00000-dfffffff

<snip: other devices>

00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a
[Master SecP PriP])
        Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 808c
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
        I/O ports at b400 [size=16]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

<snip: other devices>

[joq@sulphur] ~/ $ cat /proc/ide/hda/driver
ide-disk version 1.10
[joq@sulphur] ~/ $ cat /proc/ide/hda/model
IC35L040AVVA07-0
[joq@sulphur] ~/ $ sudo cat /proc/ide/hda/cache
1863
[joq@sulphur] ~/ $ sudo cat /proc/ide/hda/settings
name                    value           min             max             mode
----                    -----           ---             ---             ----
bios_cyl                5005            0               65535           rw
bios_head               255             0               255             rw
bios_sect               63              0               63              rw
breada_readahead        4               0               127             rw
bswap                   0               0               1               r
current_speed           0               0               69              rw
failures                0               0               65535           rw
file_readahead          124             0               16384           rw
ide_scsi                0               0               1               rw
init_speed              0               0               69              rw
io_32bit                1               0               3               rw
keepsettings            0               0               1               rw
lun                     0               0               7               rw
max_failures            1               0               65535           rw
max_kb_per_request      127             1               127             rw
multcount               8               0               8               rw
nice1                   1               0               1               rw
nowerr                  0               0               1               rw
number                  0               0               3               rw
pio_mode                write-only      0               255             w
slow                    0               0               1               rw
unmaskirq               1               0               1               rw
using_dma               0               0               1               rw

I've seen several reports about older VIA chips with buggy DMA
handling.  But, this is very recent hardware.  Does DMA still not
work?  Or, is the driver just being *very careful*?

I'm out of ideas for what to do next.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Suggestions?
--
  Jack O'Quin