I uninstalled xdm (apt-get remove xdm) and which in turn removed the
meta package x-window-system.  Then I removed all instances of the xdm
directories (the uninstall said the directories weren't empty):

/var/lib/xdm
/etc/X11/xdm

The problem is, I can reinstall xdm fine, and it works (I think it looks
different), but those files do not come back.  How do I know? If I
uninstall the package again, it does not tell me that the directory is
empty.  What package filled those directories?  I used tasksel to
install X Windows.

Hope that's descriptive enough, any ideas how to get those files back?

Jim