--On Wednesday, October 02, 2002 17:19:22 -0500 Grant Edwards
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can somebody explain to me where the IP address is supposed to
> go for wireless PCMCIA cards?
>
> I've put it in /etc/network/interfaces as eth2, but then you
> have to comment out the ifup and ifdown lines in
> /etc/pcmcia/network.opts or the card is configured twice, and
> the second time breaks things.
>
> Are IP addresses for all PCMCIA devices supposed to go in
> /etc/pcmcia/network.opts?

Not necessarily I think, the version of the pcmcia-cs I have (3.1.33-6)
has a modification on the end of the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file
which shows it can use the /etc/network/interfaces file - the bit you
commented out in fact.

I personally didn't use the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file, I do now,
but I'm doing weird/stupid things now.

I currently have a slightly broken setup at the moment, but something
like this used to work:

(in /etc/network/interfaces)

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.1.2.5
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 10.1.2.0
        broadcast 10.1.2.255
        gateway 10.1.2.1
        wireless_mode managed
        wireless_essid "essid"
        wireless_key 1234-5678-12

when I didn't have wep on (I was just playing with it) I could use
tools like laptop-netconf quite well to automatically configure the
network on the laptop.

> I've looked at the wireless HOWTO, but it doesn't even mention
> network.opts or wireless.opts, so it's either way out of date
> or written for a completely different set of tools.

I think the docs could probably be a little clearer in places, I'm not
going to complain though because I'm pretty sure I couldn't do a better
job ;)

Regards,

Sid