Jim McCloskey wrote:
> Has anyone any experience of the ASUS P4 S533 motherboard under
> Debian?
>
> In particular, I've been trying to reassure myself that the onboard
> LAN controller is supported, and have wandered all over the net
> seeking reassurance. I'm still not sure. The LAN controller is
> described as an SiS 961. Does anyone know for sure whether or not this
> is handled properly by the sis900 ethernet driver?
>
> Any other experience or observations?

I got my P4S533 in July. Great and stable board! The onboard LAN and sound
is supported in standard marcello kernels, but you'll need a newer -ac
kernel (I use 2.4.20-pre8-ac2), if you want to be able to use NVIDIA's 3D
accel. drivers via AGPGART. Finally I can play UT2003demo on my P4S533. ;)

The 2.4.20-pre8-ac2 also gave me UDMA support for the SIS5133 onboard IDE
controller. With a standard 2.4.18 kernel (not supporting SIS5133) I only
got 3 MB/sec for disk reads (tested with hdparm -tT). With the new
2.4.20-pre8-ac2 and UDMA enabled I get 46 MB/sec.

/frederik