for some reason the postfix thatkes a LONG time to startup (during
boot). any ideas why? It seems like it's getting worse over time.

   this is on debian unstable.

   I don't have too many emails and I am not aware of any long queues
waiting, this is on my personal workstation, I get few hundred emails a
day (mostly mailing lists), send only few emails a day and normal
operation of computer seems to be unaffected by email, the only problem
is when the postfix service is started.

   I am not 100% sure it's postfix, at the time when it's started the
system is not up yet. restarting postfix doesn't take too long - less
than 1 second (/etc/init.d/postfix stop; /etc/init.d/postfix start). I
think the problem is postfix because that's what it says on the screen
but I guess at that time it might be something else (that's doesn't have
output on the screen).

   any ideas?

   TIA!

        erik